Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Pompei



Straight ahead in this picture is Mt. Vesuvius.  I have loved the history of Pompei ever since I studied it in Elementary school.  I have always wanted to see it and thought it was such a singular traumatic event in history.  At last I got my chance..Sorrento is right next door to Pompei so we went to the historic sites there. 



Pompei

Pompei was mostly destroyed and buried under 13-20 feet of volcanic ash in the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD.  It was left that way for almost 1700 years.


Two thousand people died, and the city was abandoned for almost as many years. When a group of explorers rediscovered the site in 1748, they were surprised to find that–underneath a thick layer of dust and debris–Pompeii was mostly intact. 


Jo and Dave were exhausted from all the walking and site seeing


As was I.  We just let Chris drive us everywhere....


Wo..hold on a minute.....


No comments:

Post a Comment